A Counting School - Hardcore Chartered Accountancy

News

"Hardcore Chartered Accountant" does have a nice ring to it

Receive Email Updates

ACS & www.krupo.ca

Other good places

Timesinks

I got a dSLR camera last spring. Now my hard drive is filling up

When you get your first digital SLR camera, two things happen:

1. You end up taking more photos, because the camera is so much faster.
  2. Each individual photos is generally also larger, because a typical dSLR will be higher rez (more megapixels) than a plain compact digital camera.

I've been busy lately, which has cut back on the amount of time I have to delete the "b-class" photos or to just burn extra photos onto DVDs, 'just in case' I decide I want to keep more of them.

If I shoot my entire memory card full, that's another 2 GB tossed into the hard drive. At this rate, I'm going to run out of room before the end of 2008, assuming I don't increase the frequency of my photo sprees.

The nice thing, at least, is that I've been given my own personal photo storage folder on the network at work for the pictures I take that are work-related.

I should really do some quick math to compare the number of photos I take just 'for myself' versus the amount I take for the office to see where all my energy is going. I'm going to bet it's an 80-20 split. I'll have to revisit this guesstimate later.

Making my photo-deletion job a somewhat unfortunate bit easier is the fact that I've neglected to keep my lens pristine. There's a few specks on it that wrecked a few shots, particularly a series of sunset photos which'll need some love from Photoshop or a similar program. At least the fact that I'll have to do some touch-up work to those photos to make them usable makes it easier for me to hit the delete button when I have several similar shots.

Posted: Sep 16 2007, 11:16 PM by Krupo | with 9 comment(s)
Filed under: ,

Comments

neilmcintyre said:

I see you've uploaded some photos from the Polish Festival to your Flickr - keep them coming!

And I really want a digital SLR camera too!

# September 16, 2007 11:52 PM

Krupo said:

Yeah, I have another 50 megs of quota left. I *should* probably resize before uploading, but it's more fun this way.

Futureshop, while not the best place for this sort of thing, *does* have a sale going on right now... $50 off purchases over $500...

# September 17, 2007 12:11 AM

chemicalmouse said:

I would really love a digital SLR my digital camera is about 6 years old.  It'll be time to upgrade in a few.

Ever thought about an external hard drive.  They're always on sale.

# September 17, 2007 10:20 AM

Krupo said:

I have, actually. I have one external drive and am eyeing the prices to buy a second one.

But an internal drive is both (generally) cheaper and faster and I have room for another...

# September 17, 2007 10:28 AM

chemicalmouse said:

True on both counts.  That sounds the better plan.  and I saw one as big as 350G (they're probably bigger).  I'm sure you'd have fun filling that one.

# September 17, 2007 9:39 PM

Krupo said:

There are 1TB (1000GB) drives out already, but not too widespread. 500GB is an option, but I'm not that greedy, I could make do with a drive that is 1/3 cheaper. :)

A 500GB drive would require 250 full memory cards... that'd no doubt keep me busy.

# September 17, 2007 10:03 PM

fleur_de_lis said:

Aaarrr....technology. Gimme a good ole pen n' a piece o' parchment paper.

# September 19, 2007 10:53 AM

Fluffy Cow said:

Aaarrrgggh , or better still... me pistol!

# September 19, 2007 7:18 PM

Krupo said:

Pistol? Oh, right. Pirates. I follow.

I have some great pirates pictures, but many of the subjects in those photos would probably kill me if I published them here.

# September 19, 2007 10:22 PM